Apply for Marriage Licenses

Applying For Your Marriage License

Marriage licenses are issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Court Clerk's Office is located at 1 Main Street, Madison, Virginia. Hours for marriage licenses are
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
8:30 am to 4:15 pm

No appointment is necessary. If you have additional questions, please contact our office at 540-948-6888.

Important Information

  • Both parties must appear in person.
  • There is no requirement for a blood test in Virginia.
  • Proof of age is required (valid driver's license, identification card issued by the DMV, passport, Military ID, or other government-issued photo ID).
  • Effective July 1, 2016, the minimum age at which persons may marry shall be eighteen (18) years, unless a minor has been emancipated by court order. Upon application for a marriage license, an emancipated minor shall provide a certified copy of the order of emancipation.
  • If you have a Social Security Number it must be included on the license pursuant to State Law. This information is not maintained on any public record.
  • There is no residency requirement.
  • A marriage license obtained in any Circuit Court in any county in Virginia is valid for a ceremony performed anywhere in the state. You do not need to obtain a marriage license in the county where your ceremony will be performed.
  • The license is valid for only 60 days and may be used immediately upon issuance.
  • The ceremony must be performed in Virginia and by a person authorized by a Virginia Circuit Court. For more information concerning authorization to perform marriage ceremonies, visit our Minister Appointment to perform Marriage Ceremonies page and our One-Time Civil Celebrant page.  Pursuant to Cramer v. Commonwealth of VA, 214 VA 561, the Court does not recognize online ordinations.
  • The fee for the license is $30 and must be paid by cash, check, money order, or credit card (Mastercard, Visa, and Discover are accepted - there will be a 4% convenience fee assessed on each transaction).

Prohibited Marriages

  • A marriage entered into prior to the dissolution of an earlier marriage of one of the parties.
  • A marriage between an ancestor and descendant; or between brother and sister; or between uncle and a niece; or between an aunt and a nephew; whether the relationship is by half or whole blood or by adoption.
  • When either of the parties lacks the capacity to consent to the marriage because of mental incapacity or infirmity.

To help expedite the licensing process, please print the Marriage License Form and bring this completed form with you to our office. By filling out Form C first, it will populate Form A & B.

Receive a copy of your marriage license.

For information concerning changing your name with Social Security, for an Application (PDF) to change your name with Social Security.

Marriage Registration Form (PDF)